CARLYLE POST NO. 358 (Researched by Louis Rinn)
Carlyle Post 358 was organized May 2, 1922. The name Carlyle was selected to honor two local fallen comrades, Hicks Carlyle and James W. Carlyle. The two brothers were killed the same day, October 8, 1918, only thirty days before Germany raised the White Flag of surrender. The Carlyle brothers resided in the Hamilton Chapel Community which is four miles southwest of Rockdale.
The first meeting of Carlyle Post 358 was held in an upstairs room of the Dr. H.T. Coulter Building at the corner of North Main and West Cameron streets. Later a meeting place was furnished by the city at the City Hall.
At the first meeting of Carlyle Post the following men were elected as officers of the Post: Dr. C.E. Wisecup, Post Commander; Percy Diehl, Vice Commander; H.H. Turner, Post Adjutant; John T. Hale, Finance Officer; Fred Eads, Post Historian; Dr. I.P. Sessions, Post Chaplain; and C.U. Cates, Sergeant at Arms.
The following men were also charter members of the Post: H.E. Blenden, Robert H. Floyd, Dr. H.T. Coulter, Max Ferrari, William F. Vogel, Clyde Franklin, Dr. T.E. Crump, J.P. Horton, Alvin M. Johnson, and Ralph Larrieu.
In 1935 Carlisle Post purchased the Wolf Hotel at the corner of North Main and East Milam Streets. Plans for a new home were soon drawn by Clyde Franklin. This home was completed in the early forties.
1952 was the peak year for membership. The total membership for that year was 326. W.P. (Red) Hogan was commander of the Post at that time.
Carlisle Post has sent at least one boy to Boys' State in Austin each year since it was organized. The Post has sponsored the American Legion baseball team and has participated in civic affairs that have taken place in the city of Rockdale. A History of Rockdale, Texas 1874-1974
According to a Rockdale Reporter article dated Nov. 15, 2001 . . . In 1935, Post 358 purchased the former Wolf Hotel, one of Rockdale's most historic turn-of-the-century structures. The hotel, at the corner of Main and Milam, was renovated and served as Carlyle Post's home for more than 60 years. Carlyle Post has been through periods of inactivity but still retains some membership and has plans for a new building. The old Legion building (Wolf Hotel) has been razed. That project was completed earlier this year.