Sunday, June 23, 2013

1881 :: Rockdale & Milano


Tuesday last, a reporter of the Statesman took a little trip up the International as far as Milano Junction. His first stopping place was Rockdale, which has improved some in the last few months. Besides the erection of an elegant three-story brick hotel, many new stores and swelling houses have been built, the streets and sidewalks put in good condition, and had the citizens succeeded in getting the G.C.&S.F.R.R. to pass through the place, Rockdale would have had at no distant day a population of double what she can now hope for. The merchants say, however, that their trade last fall was better than for several years. After spending part of a day here, and securing a large number of subscribers to the Daily Statesman, the reporter boarded a freight for Milano, "the future great."

This new town is about nine miles from Rockdale, at the junction of the International and Santa Fe, and is the creation of these two roads. A large two-story hotel is being erected for the accommodation of the public, and will be in full blast in about three weeks. Mr. H. Goldsticker, one of the leading business men of Rockdale, owns a large ice house at the junction, and is the wholesale agent for Lemps' beer. He cools the heated inhabitants in the different towns up and down the two roads, and furnishes the thirsty with ice cold beer, and to do this it requires two cars of ice and one of beer per week.

The Santa Fe company owns about 200 acres and have laid off a large number of lots which can be bought for from ten to twenty dollars each. The round-houses of the International at Rockdale have been torn down and will be erected at this point. Mr. E.E. Lang, late of Austin, is in charge of the International freight and passenger business at Milano, and is the right man in the right place. The reporter did not learn whether Milano will be a candidate for the state university or not. Weekly Democratic Statesman, Austin, Texas, June 23, 1881

No comments:

Post a Comment