Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

1874 :: Dedication of Town Site

According to the deed dated July 15th, 1874 . . . which was subsequently filed at the county courthouse on September 2nd, 1874 . . . the survey showed the town containing thirty-five blocks of lots. Streets and alleys contiguous to those lots were dedicated to the public. Specific strips of land on both sides of the track were marked off as a reservation belonging solely to the railroad company. Numerous buildings were constructed on the reservation, such as cattle pens, warehouses, and a roundhouse.

The above written by Sharon Hodges for
A History of Rockdale, Texas 1874-1974


When the officials of the International and Great Northern Railroad Company, on July 15th, 1874, executed their deed for the streets and lots for the town that they officially named 'Rockdale,' they set in motion activities that helped develop an area that has gained renown, not only for its agricultural and industrial accomplishments, but for men and women whose influence for good has continued through the last one hundred years.

To this area came early enterprising business people and settlers who established a culture greatly influenced by ethnic groups, composed of Anglo-American, Negro, Mexican, German, Jewish, Swedish, and Czech. All, through concerted action, brought about the growth of present day Rockdale (1974) with a population of 4,655. is wished that in some way we could have told of the unusual qualities of vision, faith and determination of the people who throughout the past century have molded Rockdale and surrounding communities.

...we cordially salute all those who will take their places in 2074, one hundred years hence.

The above written by Mrs. Ida Jo Marshall for
A History of Rockdale, Texas 1874-1974

No comments:

Post a Comment