County Judge John Watson was over from Cameron Tuesday for the purpose of fixing up the papers for a number of old Confederate soldiers who were applying for pensions under the new law. Final proofs were taken for the following:
- Isaac Long, Milano, Route 3.
- Dr. E.W. Allen, Rockdale.
- Lee Wallace, Minerva.
- N.C. Jones, Rockdale, route 2.
- Mrs. E. Denham, Rockdale, route 2.
- Mrs. Mary Joyner, Rockdale.
- Mrs. E.J. Ashby, Rockdale.
- Benj. F. Arthur, Rockdale, route 6.
- G.H. Davenport, Rockdale, route 3.
Applications and part proofs were taken also for B.V. Arnold and A.L. Pleasant.
There is a deal of seemingly unnecessary red tape to be unwound before these old heroes can avail themselves of the pittance awarded, but Judge Watson is using all due dilligence in the matter, and is entitled to the thanks of the veterans for the interest manifested. According to the red tape each of the applicants is supposed to make a trip to Cameron, taking along their proofs and witnesses, and Mr. Watson's trip over here was quite an accomodation and appreciated by all concerned.
Rockdale Reporter and Messenger, August 28, 1913